- 1lb of ground cod meat
- 3 slices of ground bacon
- 5-6 small potatoes
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves of garlic
- A small bunch of fresh dill
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 heaping tablespoons of white flour
- 1 medium sized white bread bun soaked in milk
- Allow the bread to soak for about15 minutes, then rip it up into quarter sized pieces to use for the recipe
- ½ cup of clarified butter
- 1 ¼ cup of cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
If you’re going to bring a bit of Poland’s coastal Tri-cities home with you, there’s no better way to do it than to recreate one of its splendid seafood dishes. These fish meatballs are a local favorite and a rather easy recipe to make. Smacznego!
To make the meatballs..
- Begin by filling a medium-size pot with water, add 2 teaspoons of salt for taste and set on the stove to heat
- Next, on a frying pan melt about 1.5 tablespoons of butter and toss in the chopped onion. Sauté until translucent.
- Combine the ground cod and bacon in a small medium-size mixing bowl.
- Add the sautéed onion into the ground cod and bacon and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the egg
- Squeeze out the excess milk from the pieces of bread and toss them in small pieces into the mixing bowl with everything else.
- Add a couple teaspoons of salt and pepper to taste and stir to blend.
- Sift a bit of flour over a flat plate.
- Give the meat one more stir, using your hand to ensure that the bread inside the mixture is thoroughly broken apart and everything is smoothly blened.
- Take about a tablespoon of the meat and roll between your hands to form a ball.
- Roll each meatball in the flour and set aside to cook. This batch should give approximately 20 meatballs.
Now, to cook the meatballs..
Toss each meatball into the pot of boiling water (about 7-8 at a time). You will know they are done cooking when they rise to the top. At that point, strain them out of the water and set aside for the next step.
- Toss the potatoes (unpeeled) onto the same frying pan that was used for sauteeing the onions earlier.
- Slice the cloves of garlic into thin, lengthwise pieces and toss them in with the potatoes. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the meatballs.
- As the ingredients continue to sizzle on the pan, pour in the cream and continue to heat.
- Chop the small bunch of fresh dill and sift over the meatballs and potatoes.
- Add 2 teaspoons of salt and a bit of pepper to taste
- Give the contents in the pan about 1 more minute to cook and then the dish is ready.
Serve and enjoy:
- Transfer over to a serving plate.
- Pour over with a bit of excess cream.
- Sift fresh parsley leaves over the top to add a bit of freshness.
- Grab a fork and knife and enjoy!