TROUT IN CREAM
(PSTRĄG W ŚMIETANIE)
- 1 wild river trout
- A bunch of fresh dill
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons of rapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons of white flour
- ¾ cup of cooked lentil
- ¾ cup white wine
- 2 cups of cream
- Snail eggs for garnish
The Warmian-Masurian region, is home to thousands of majestic lakes, and so naturally the region’s menu has quite a few great freshwater fish recipes. The trout in cream is one of the better known recipes and I encourage you to bring a bit of Poland’s beautiful “Mazury” into your home with this dish.
First, prepare the fish...
Before making this dish, make sure to cure the fish. Let the trout sit in about 4 cups of milk mixed with 1 tablespoon of vinegar for about 6 hours.
Next, prepare the sauce...
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of butter into a small saucepan and let them melt.
- Once the butter is fully melted add in the chopped onion and sauté until it becomes translucent.
- Add in the white wine.
- Allow the whole mixture to heat through until it has been reduced to about half the original amount. This should take about 5 minutes.
- While the wine and butter are heating, chop a small bunch of dill and set it aside for later.
- Next, toss a few small stems of fresh thyme into the wine and butter in the saucepan.
- Finally, pour in the cream.
- Turn up the heat just a bit and let the liquid cook for about 5 more minutes.
- After it has heated thoroughly add in the chopped dill and flavor with salt and pepper.
Now, to fry the fish…
- Flavor the trout on each side (inside and out) with salt and pepper.
- Then toss the fish in flour, making sure to cover it thoroughly.
- Prepare a frying pan by setting it to a medium heat and pouring 2-3 tablespoons of rapeseed oil over the surface. Allow it to heat just a bit and then place the fish in the pan to fry.
- Fry the trout on each side until it achieves a nice, golden brown color. This only takes a few minutes.
Prep the fish for baking…
- Place the fried trout into a rectangular heatproof baking dish.
- Pour the cream sauce over the top.
- Sift the cooked lentil over the dish to finish.
- Place in the oven, set to 335º Fahrenheit to bake for 15 minutes.
- Once the fish is done baking place onto a serving platter.
- Garnish with fresh dill, thyme and snail eggs.
- Cut, serve and enjoy!